debugging Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Tue Mar 14 09:48:04 PST 2006

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> That error really means "your X server ran out of file descriptors < 256"
> (or whatever value MAXCLIENTS is defined to in your build), so the first
> debugging tool would be something like lsof to see how many files your

ok, now i am improvising. if i'm way off the path, hint at me gently =)

# ps -AH|grep X
23623 tty2     11:33:31     X
# lsof -p 23623|wc -l
650

# lsof -p 23623|grep /tmp/.X11-unix/X0|wc -l
27

# lsof -p 23623|grep /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/encodings.dir|wc -l
572

so, /tmp is having some bunch of stuff open, but for some encodings.dir
is getting the first place.

i have no idea how far both of these are far from the norm, but the font
thing seems to slightly out of control.

or am i looking in a wrong direction ?

> X server has open and what they are.   This could be from clients using
> too many MIT-SHM segments or something like that.
>
>     -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com
>      Sun Microsystems, Inc. - X Window System Engineering
  Rich