Xorg 7.1 and Xgl

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Mar 24 17:33:41 PST 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 19:10, Christian Parpart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> simple stupid question: will Xgl make its way into the Xorg 7.1 release?
> It at least looks like it's about to be merged to HEAD any time soon.

If it gets merged to head before the 31st, then it will be in the tarball.
Whether it's built by default or not mostly depends on testing level, etc.

Essentially I'm punting that question to David since it's his baby.

> So, it might be part (in theory) of 7.1 release as well, in fact, it's
> still open wether compiz/glxcompmgr/... will be part of this boundle as
> well.

No, that't not an open question, they won't.

The motivation here is very simple.  There are many other projects that have
done an excellent job at developing X applications.  Xorg is not one of them.
The core focus of the project is the server.  The apps repo exists for a few
reasons, the historical one being parity with 6.9.  The reason we should be
moving towards is to provide hosting for apps that are potentially useful,
but don't have a better home elsewhere, and aren't large enough to justify a
top-level project.

As such, no apps not in 7.0 will be badged as being part of 7.1.  Their
maintainers are certainly welcome to make releases that coincide with 7.1, of
course.

- ajax