X Server VmSize and VmRss: Excessive ?????

Howard Thomson howard.thomson at dial.pipex.com
Sun Mar 26 03:20:20 PST 2006

Hi all,

I have a 2Gb dual-processor X86-64 system, and am frustrated that when my X
server size reaches 1.2+ Gb, with VmRss (Resident Set Size) if 1+ Gb, my
system slows to a crawl.

This is primarily in relation to web browsing, where Firefox has (currently)
reached 1.12Gb VmSize and 236Mb VmRss, with combined X + Firefox VmSize of
2.4 Gb, which seems massively excessive!

Is this likely to be a memory leak problem in X, Firefox or both, or is it a
configuration problem or limitation where it should be possible to configure
a limit on RAM cacheing ?

I admit to  being an avid news reader, opening and closing tabs for news items
almost continuously, but for my system to get to a point where minutes (!)
pass by simply to see the cursor move is RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!!

Anyone any comments ?

Howard Thomson

PS

System is SuSE 9.3, X86-64, 2Gb RAM, 80Gb EIDE HDD Swap, 2x 160Gb SATA HDD
f/system, Tyan Tiger K8W motherboard.

I have had similar symtoms with Konqueror.

I have been using Linux since version 0.99pl16 or thereabouts, and previously
Unix from 1975 so am hardly a newbie(!)
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein