Dual monitor on radeon

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 13:04:50 PST 2006

On 3/30/06, Fabio Varesano <fvaresano at inwind.it> wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I'm having problems setting up xorg to use two
> monitor. I want the two monitors not to show the
> same thing but to create a desktop area divided
> on the two monitors.
>
> I'm using a notebook with an ati radeon mobility 9000.
> I want to use the notebook's monitor and an LCD monitor
> connected to the VGA port of my notebook.
>
> I'm trying using stock xorg radeon drivers for X.org 7 .
> I made my configurations... Attached there are xorg.conf
> and Xorg log file. Also lspci output is attached.
>
> I think I'm near the right configuration.. with current xorg.conf
> file, X starts but only one monitor is active (notebook one).
> The LCD monitor attached with VGA cable doesn't get signal.
> But on the notebook monitor I see an extended desktop.
> The taskbar isn't full displayed. Only an half.
> xdpyinfo tell me that I have a 2048x768 desktop.
>

> Ok.. I hope someone will be able to point me to the right direction..

Please read the list archives!  This question gets asked at least
twice a day.  Dualhead on radeon was broken in 7.0.  you will need to
use Xorg cvs HEAD or the ati-1.0-branch.  Alternatively, there are x86
binary cvs snapshots here:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download#head-55420c59a1c2e9a70f07a6fa02f0d228ffb87b76

Alex