Which Release of X11?

Alan James Caruana ajcaruana at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 05:17:16 PDT 2006

Hi,

I downloaded the code of X11R7.1 from the CVS repositories of X.Org,
and managed to compile and run (not perfectly, but it runs) the
version of XWin that is distributed with that code.

I then sniffed, using Ethereal, an X11 connection between the X Server
I compiled and an X Client that is being loaded from a SuSe 9.2
computer.  I noticed that in the Initial Connection Reply, i.e. the
first reply that the server sends to the client, the version number of
the protocol was 11 (that's good), while the release number was 6600
(0x000019c8).  I remember that when I read the X11 protocol
specification there was written that the release number is vendor
specific, but I would like to be sure, if anyone knows, whether the
code I compiled runs on X11R7.1 or not, and if not on which Release
does it run?

Just to note, I compiled X11R7.0 on linux, and when I traced the same
connection, the release number was 70000000 (0x042c1d80).

Regards
Alan J. Caruana