nv driver status

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Oct 18 03:44:36 PDT 2006

Hello,

in the Russian portion of the Internet, it looks like the following
information has been copied a lot from linux.org.ru FAQ
(http://www.linux.org.ru/books/lor-faq/lorFAQ-15.html):

> 15.39 Установил linux. Карта GeForce, монитор LCD с DVI - иксы не
> грузятся, что делать?
>
> Смените драйвер nv на vesa. Потому что nv не поддерживает DVI.
Translation:

> 15.39 I installed linux. The video card is GeForce, the monitor is LCD
> with DVI - can't start X, what to do?
>
> Change the driver from "nv" to "vesa", because "nv" doesn't support DVI.
However, the changelog does mention DVI, so is this true now?

Also, is there any case when one really must install the nvidia driver
for 2D-only reasons not involving Xvideo? I am asking because I am a
maintainer of the LFS LiveCD and must have a good answer to the question
why I provide the proprietary driver installer on the CD. The answer of
the form "such-and-such users cannot get seamonkey and xchat running on
nv driver with refresh rate higher than 60 Hz, with DVI, and/or at the
native LCD resolution" would be considered good enough. "there are users
that cannot...." would not.

Of course, if there are no nvidia users who cannot use the "nv" driver
for 2D, the proprietary driver will be deleted from the CD.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov