DRAFT airlie

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Thu Oct 19 18:08:15 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:35:11PM -0400, Leon Shiman wrote:

> The Board supports contributor travel to attend meetings. Policy for giving
> support, for announcing and managing funding, and for soliciting and
> processing applications aren't good, as you know. But we have tried to fund
> every reasonable request that made sense... The process needs a lot of
> improvement - but that also requires volunteers to help make it work.

Meetings and events, and getting people together is a very important
topic.

I would like to know where this line of "reasonable" and "made
sense" is. As already explained, Linuxday.at 2005 turned out to be a
case where this line was not shared by all board members.

Linuxday.at is traditionally held the weekend after Linuxworldexpo.de,
and it turns out that linuxworld did have X.org representation last
year:
http://www.linuxworldexpo.de/04_03_01.php?Termin_ID=151&ID=97

And this year there will be X.org presence once again:
http://www.linuxworldexpo.de/adetail.php?ID=123&Aussteller_ID=1241
http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2006-October/018504.html

I can't help but wonder if there was any X.org money involved in
Linuxworld 2005. This year, X.org funding does seem available.

Can there be some clarity as to how this money is being spent? Also, how
many people have requested funding for next month, as offered in your
announcement?

To what extent do you feel does attending linuxworld benefit X.org the
foundation and X.org the developers and community, compared to other X
events?

Luc Verhaegen.