xorg freezes up with kde/gnome/others

Gary and Pam Morr gmorr at tc3net.com
Mon Oct 30 00:25:06 PST 2006

Whenever I bring up kde (or gnome or any other gui) my box freezes up.
The only way to get it going is a hard boot.  I have had this problem
for a long time but after upgrading to xorg 6.9 and kde 3.5 the problem
is worse.  kde comes up ok but within seconds after bringing up the menu
the machine locks up.  This will happen even before I click on an
application.  I am running slackware 11.0 on a compaq deskpro with an
i810e chipset.  I let X produce my xorg.conf file and I don't see
anything obiously wrong with it.  Has anyone else seen this?