[SOLUTION] Re: Suppressing automatic modes

Perry Hutchison perryh at pluto.rain.com
Fri Sep 1 11:21:19 PDT 2006

> > > Adding a Modes line made no difference.  The resulting
> > > behavior is the same as before, and the logfile is
> > > identical except for the date stamp.
> Add a Modes line to the Depth subsection for the depth you're
> running (16bpp). That way Xorg will know what resolution you
> want it to start with.

Since I don't know (nor especially need to find out :) how Xorg
chooses which depth to use, I added the same Modes line to all
of them.  Xorg now sets the virtual size to 1024x768, and rejects
the built-in 1280x960 mode as being too wide.

I still wonder why it did not reject 1280x960 initially, since it
exceeds the monitor's report of its capabilities.