Two mice with different sensitivity

Adam B cruxic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 13:04:09 PDT 2006

I've got two USB mice on my Linux box  (Logitech wheel mouse and
trackman).  They are working fine simultaneously, (one pointer two
mice).  All I want to do is have different sensitivity settings for
each because the track ball is way to fast but the mouse is just right.

The xset m command doesn't do the job because it changes both at once.
In xorg.conf I've tried:
Option "Resolution" "n"

and
Option "SampleRate" "n"

Neither setting had any noticable effect.

Is this possible?  I've spent a good deal of time researching this on the
net and found no solutions.  Therefore I am considering "scratching my own
itch" by writing some code.  Any suggestions as to where the best place to
implement such a feature is?  Should it be part of the X server?  Or should
it be a lower level filter for /dev/input/mouseN?

Thanks for the help.
- Cruxic