EXA support for the MGA driver - Offscreen memory problems

Tilman Sauerbeck tilman at code-monkey.de
Tue Sep 5 14:46:01 PDT 2006

Tilman Sauerbeck [2006-09-05 16:50]:
> If I set the EXA_OFFSCREEN_PIXMAPS flag, the composite hooks will break.
> This can be seen easily cause I'm getting an corrupted mouse cursor
> (using a xcursor theme; it's rendering an 32 bpp ARGB cursor onto my 16
> bpp desktop). There's other render ops that fail, but it's probably
> irrelevant which ones. Unsetting the EXA_OFFSCREEN_PIXMAPS flags makes
> everything work nicely.

On IRC, Michel pointed out that since the corruption only affects the
opaque area of the cursor it was unlikely to be offscreen memory
related...

> Any advice what might cause the offscreen memory problems? Or is there
> no point in trying to track that one down when it seems like there's an
> initialization problem somewhere?

... and this turned out to be the problem :)

I guess it's safe to assume that we're indeed setting up the offscreen
memory area correctly.

Regards,
Tilman