Fullscreen WITHOUT window decoration

Philip Pflästerer ppflaesterer at konplan.com
Fri Sep 8 05:44:11 PDT 2006

Russell Shaw wrote:
> Philip Pflästerer wrote:
>> Russell Shaw wrote:

>>> If you have a net-wm window manager, you could try setting
>>> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> could you please explain this a little bit? I'm using KDE, I dont't
>> know, if KDE has a net-wm window manager or not. Anyway, I'd like to
>> implement the application independant from the window-manager (if this
>> is possible).
>
> Hi,
> You may be using the KWin window manager:
>   http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/faq/windowmanager.html
>
> It is likely to understand the _NET_WM hints.
>
> > Isn't there a standard possibility to tell any window
>> manager to make the application fullscreen, without any decorations?
>
> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
>
> Some widget tool kits like Qt might have a higher level function that
> sets the same thing.
>
> To do things at the bare Xlib level, you'll need to read the ICCCM:
>
>   http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Client_Communication_Conventions_Manual
>

> and the EWMH:
>
>   http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html
>
> and you'll probably need an Xlib book or understand stuff like:
>
>   http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/function-index.html

Hi,

it works! Thanks a lot for help, you gave me the right hints. I also
found a little example in the web, after you told me about
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.windows.x/browse_thread/thread/b598565096a62bf0/b73ef31b88abaa05#b73ef31b88abaa05
I'm not finished yet, but now I basicly know, how to do it.

Greetings
Philip Pflästerer