Bring on the release wrangling

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun Sep 10 19:41:50 PDT 2006

It's that time again.  This round looks to be quite a bit simpler than the 7.1
process was, many fewer modules have seen updates, and at least two of the
big X server branches (pci-rework and input-hotplug) are claimed by their
owners to be targetted at 7.3.

The schedule is on the wiki at:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/ReleaseSchedule

And just to make it easy, it currently looks like:

Nomination: September 15
Selection:  September 29
RC1:        October 6
RC2:        October 27
RC3:        November 10
7.2 GA:     November 17

For the nomination phase, if you own a module, kindly speak up as to which
branch you want to be included in the 7.2 katamari, and which branches (if
any) you plan to merge between then and now.  Feature completion should be
done by RC1.

For those modules with no owner, I'll likely just pick the stable branch.

For the X server, if you've got bits to merge, start talking about them so we
can decide what needs inclusion.  I've got a smallish patch set in Fedora
that I want to see included, which mostly takes care of the problem of EDID
mode injection and some miscellaneous other autoconfig bits.  We've also got
a fairly constant bug level relative to 7.1 and I'd like to see that come
down a bit.

I've been hacking up some scripts to automate the release process a bit, one
of which will probably involve checking a list into git of module/version
pairs so we have the list in a centralized place.  Also the documentation was
horribly mishandled last time around (my fault); if someone wanted to take
ownership of that particular subproject I certainly wouldn't object.

- ajax