Intel GMA 900 & XVideo Accelleration (i810 drivers)

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 08:00:41 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 19:51 -0700, galenz at zinkconsulting.com wrote:

> What are the the -debuginfo packages? For VLC, all I see is vlc and
> vlc-devel for packages. Do I have to compile my own build of VLC?
> What about X? Sorry, I'm not yet intimately familiar with rpm/yum
> package management.

You need non-stripped binaries or the debugging symbols in a package. In
Debian this is done through packages with the -dbg suffix (e.g.
firefox-dbg) I thought Fedora did the same thing with the suffix
-DebugInfo. Maybe if you poked around on Fedora's FTP server they might
be in there somewhere.

> As for gdb, I do have the hang of it I think, but there are tons of
> "no dubugging symbols found" lines . I'm assuming due to the lack of -
> debuginfo. The only interesting line (other than thread-related
> things) showed up after the segfault and is:
> 0x00002aaab4e73606 in mpeg2_idct_init () from /usr/lib64/libmpeg2.so.0

That's the general idea of what you want to see, but more of it. You
want to see a whole stack of those, but you don't because the other
libraries and applications are missing their debugging symbols.