X to TV

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 10:44:02 PDT 2006

> >> driver. Feel

> >> hints?
> >>

> >> nope, what he's saying is that there's a table of modes in the vbios
> >> which cannot be added to
> >> ("injected") in the old i810 driver.
> >>

> >> The i915resolution program (comes under several names) can be used to
> >> edit the vbios table.
> >> This helps in laptop and other situations where some amount of mode info
> >> is provided by the display,
> >> yet the vbios is ignorant of it. You can see the info _almost_ working
> >> in the Xorg.0.log file, then its ignored.
> >

> > 915resolution is in Gentoo's Portage so I can install that easily.
> > Can I use that to specify mode information manually, or must it come
> > from the display?
> >
> >> Your TV display may not provide sufficient info for this to work. Look
> >> in your Xorg.0.log to see if 736x485
> >> is mentioned at all.
> >

> > The only time that resolution is mentioned in the log is:
> >
> > (II) I810(0): Not using mode "736x485i" (unknown reason)
>

> That must be due to the ModeLine entry in your xorg.conf file.  Try
> changing that label to "736x485",
> stuff 736x485 with the i915resolution program, and retry the Xorg server.

I think my video card is having problems with the clock speed and
interlaced mode.  This modeline:

Modeline "640x480i" 14.16 640 712 776 904 480 532 537 625 interlace
-hsync -vsync

came from here:

http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html

I've been experimenting with the above modeline, but I changed
640x480i to 640x480 so the VBIOS will accept it.  xorg won't start if
the clock speed is less than 26.  It also won't start if the interlace
option is used, even if the clock is above 26.  From what I
understand, a video card needs to be able to output with a clock speed
in the 15 range and in interlaced mode for a standard TV to be able to
use the signal.

Is the video card failing when attempting less than 26 clock or
interlaced mode because I'm specifying 640x480 instead of 640x480i, or
is it because the i810's video is incapable?  Everything I read before
I tried this said almost any video card should be able to do this.

I would try to add 736x485i or 640x480i to the resolutions with
915resolution, but I'm getting this:

system1 ~ # 915resolution -l
Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack : version 0.5.2
Intel chipset detected.  However, 915resolution was unable to
determine the chipset type.
Chipset Id: 71248086
Please report this problem to stomljen at yahoo.com

- Grant