RandR version 1.2 revisited

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Sep 13 15:47:34 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 05:18, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Just to harp upon my favourite topic:
>  > Most of the utility of this extension is subsumed by RandR version 1.2,
>  > except for the gamma adjustments. If this features continue to be
>  > useful, either some relationship between the screen indices used in the
>  > XFree86-VidModeExtension and the screen/monitor pairs used int RandR or
>  > an incorporation of this functionality into RandR might be needed.
>
> The latter is in fact essential if color calibration, and consequently
> high quality color profiling, is to be supported. To not support this
> disqualifies RandR/X11 systems from consideration for color quality
> critical work.
>
> Might a way of incorporating the output LUT adjustment into RandR be
> a set of LUT read/write functions that identify the target by the
> CRTC ID ? [The CRTC being where I assume the underlying RAMDAC hardware
> is].

And, just to harp on EDID some more, we already get a moderately okay gamma
ramp (describing the monitor) from base EDID, and DI-EXT gives you something
like 48 stops to work with.  Exporting that from the server in the new RANDR
seems pretty natural, so it would seem that any future gamma adjustment work
would at least want to be new-randr aware.

- ajax