Testing Xft and screen scraping

Fujinaka, Todd todd.fujinaka at intel.com
Fri Sep 15 12:16:32 PDT 2006

I am a total newbie and I need to do some X programming to test for the
operational presence of Xft. This is for the Linux Standard Base
project.

So I was told by Keith that I should "paint 'em and scrape 'em." So does
that mean that I just render some text into a pixmap and then compare
the memory contents to something I've stored? How does the actual screen
setting affect that as far as bit depth and resolution are concerned? Do
I need to start up a virtual server to set the bit depth and resolution?

Would I need to have different comparisons for different processor
architectures?

Also, I don't know the standard workflow for this. Would I need to have
an event handler if I'm just writing into a pixmap (if that's even
correct in the first place)?

Thanks,
Todd