Keysym additions.

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Sep 21 11:28:04 PDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 01:57:34PM -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> 1) I'm disturbed there are no comments by any of the XF86 keysyms we
> added some years ago around multimedia, etc.  I think comments should be
> added to those to reduce the probability of confusion.  I plan to try to
> do that as well, to reduce ambiguity of intended meaning.

Feel free.

> 2) Should we continue in the XF86 name space for additional X.org
> keysyms:  I think not; that way we can't have collisions with XFree's
> allocations.

Presumably the names are tied to DDX rather than vendor, which could
easily make it either.  The worst they can do is to add non-colliding
keysyms.  There's no way they can add keysyms that conflict with what we
have now.

> a) XK_F1_5 through XK_F34_5, as intermediate keysyms for the F1-F35
> range

That's ... a lot of keysyms.  Could you not use modifiers for this?

> b) XK_FuncGroup1 - XK_FuncGroup5 (5 sets of function keys)

Can you elaborate?  Do you have one row of function keys, and these are
essentially modifiers that shift the function number?

> XK_Frame    /* we have a notion of a "frame" in our UI */

Can you elaborate on this?

> XK_Chat	    /* invoke instant messaging */

XF86XK_Messenger.

> XK_Grab_L  /* when grabbing things like maps to scroll them around */
> XK_Grab_R  /* when grabbing things like maps to scroll them around */

Can you not use pointer keys to simulate a mouse button?

> d) We also plan to have the fn key generate a keycode, rather than being
> entirely silent; it turns out I could not find a definition for it:
>
> XK_Fn	/* keysym if the Fn key is kind enough to send a code */

I assume this is yet another modifier.  Maybe take Hyper?

> e) Last, but not least, kids may be learning languages.  So we'd like
> some way to indicate a mode switch to a different language.  But given
> the number of languages in the world, it isn't clear to me we want to
> add a mode switch for each and every of hundreds, or even thousands of
> languages.  (or do we?  the most common languages is just a 100-200
> languages, IIRC).

Dude, you can't add 200 keysyms for languages.

> If we don't want to add such a plethora of mode switches to the list,
> I'd suggest just
>
> XK_Language_switch_1
> XK_Language_switch_2

Could you not use XK_Mode_switch and have the language smarts in
userspace?

Cheers,
Daniel