Non-DDC monitor paramters for RandR

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Sep 23 17:52:32 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 17:32 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> BTW, as page six of this [1] manual shows, there are digital switches on
> the market which not only intercept EDID, but are also able to send a
> fake one to the computer (presumably so it does not disconnect an
> output, believing there's nothing there).

I'm happy enough with fake EDID; at least we can detect the presense of
the monitor relatively cheaply. The load detection code that we have for
915 and earlier chips causes video disruption, so any other method would
be preferred.

> Do 4:3 or 5:4 modes apply to a modern digital panel nowadays? Especially
> if it's not computer but video-oriented ?

If the monitor provides EDID data, I really don't care what mode it
wants, we just pull in the EDID data and use it. Otherwise, we need to
make some assumptions about the monitor, I'm currently assuming that the
monitor is capable of displaying standard 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768
modes by setting the sync limits as appropriate. Of course, the user can
always add new modes through the extension.

keith.packard at intel.com