Status of xgl?

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at
Wed Sep 27 15:09:06 PDT 2006

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:58:46 +0200, "Hanno Böck" <ml at> said:

> Beside that, is there a reason why xorg-server is still one package? After the
> splitting, it would seem to be obvious to me to have an xorg-server,
> kdriver-server, xgl-server package etc. That would make merging obsolete and
> xgl could have it's own releases. But it'd probably need some more splitting
> to move out the redundant parts.

Well, the reason is that there's a large amount of shared code (the DIX) that
gets hooked rather deeply into the various X servers. I suppose that the DIX
could be factored out into a shared library ( or such) but nobody
really did it, and it doesn't seem to be especially high on the priority list
of anyone working on Xorg.