intel_hal.so

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 17:31:20 PDT 2006

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/9/333
Specifically: http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/12/10

I recently discovered this nefarious intel_hal.so (a month plus late, I
know). I'm not pleased with this, to say the least, but there is little
me or anyone else can do. I think we (i965 owners and the community in
general) are owed this, however: an all-inclusive list of what, exactly,
is hidden away in that binary module. The only answer so far is
"Macrovision and other trade secrets". I'm sorry, but that doesn't fly
for me. What else is in there? I want to be able to make an informed
decision as to whether or not I will use this module, whenever it
becomes available. If it's just Macrovision, then I suppose that's at
least irrelevant for me. Unfortunately, some of the replies from people
on LKML who examined the code seem to indicate that it's not.

Regards,
Andrew Barr