Xvfb question

wx4caster wx4caster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 08:06:15 PDT 2006

I am running Fedora Core 5.  I see Xvfb in /usr/bin.  I typed the following
in a terminal:

/usr/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1280x1024x24 -shmem &
[1] 5559
screen 0 shmid 1933334
Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/OTF, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from
list!

Do these lines mean Xvfb started and is running?  How can I tell?

If not, what do I do to start it correctly?   And shut it down correctly?
(- terminate)???

I need to run Xvfb so I can run a program from CRON that requires its own X
frame buffer...auto-generating GIFs.  CRON doesn't have access to console X
Server, whose magic cookie is not known to my shell scripts.  I have to
setenv = DISPLAY localhost:1 in their scripts so they can function outside
of display 0.

Is there a way to start Xvfb with DISPLAY = localhost:1 at boot up?

Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Brian