Custom XKB

Giuseppe Bilotta giuseppe.bilotta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 05:13:56 PDT 2007

On Monday 2 April 2007 17:29, Alan James Caruana wrote:

> I now would like to customize the dead_key combinations.  For example
> if I press '^' and 'e', I would like the result to be , say, 'ā'
> instead of 'ê'.  I found some articles, tutorials and postings to some
> lists saying that I should just modify the
> "locale/<LOCALE_NAME>/Compose" file and it should work (after using
> setxkbmap, or restarting the server).  This, however did not work for
> me. It just keeps on using the dead_key sequences as if I hadn't
> modified the Compose file.
>
> Does anyone have any idea on what I could do to solve this problem?

You shouldn't edit the global Compose file, unless you want to use those
combinations from all the computer accounts. And even in that case, you
might come across problems when upgrading distribution files. Moreover, the
current Compose file already has most of the combinations you would be
wanting.

If you want to add your own, edit the .XCompose file in your home dir,
starting it with a line:

include "/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose"

if you want to include the system-wide default compose rules, and then add
your own rules.

Moreover, reloading the keyboard layout has no effect, and there's no need
to restart the server: just restarting the specific program you want to use
should be enough.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta