EXA revisited

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Aug 6 09:52:12 PDT 2007

On Mon,  6 Aug 2007 19:24:55 +0300,  wrote:
> almost any pixmap to my offscreen memory. When I chnaged the migration policy
> to "always" i suddenly got a ton of calls which included antialiased fonts (how
> could this be BTW - I was told the server doesn't use pixmaps at all for this
> and people are working on it now).

The "server doesn't use pixmaps for glyphs" issue is a little more
subtle. It does store all glyph images as non-pixmap chunks of system
memory. Then, when it comes time to composite the glyphs, it uploads
each glyph image to a temporary pixmap, composites those (which is
where your driver gets the call), and then throws away the pixmap.

So there's a bunch of repeated transfers from system-memory to pixmaps
that can be eliminated there, (and should be eliminated with my recent
patch series).

-Carl