understanding GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Wed Aug 8 07:16:51 PDT 2007

On 8/8/07 1:40 AM, "Amir Bukhari" <amir.bukhari at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am try to figure out how to use GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
> extension in LG3D.
> before I can use we need to add this extension to java3d, but this
> will take a time.
>
> my question is:
> when I have a redirected window using XComposite and I have create
> texture from its pixmap using the above extension. does the content of
> pixmap will be always available to texture? I mean if the app draw to
> it's window does the new content is available to the texture, or I
> should create it again each time the window is damage?

Unfortunately we had to leave this behavior undefined.  For reliable results
on every driver, you will need to re-bind the pixmap every time damage
occurs.  glXReleaseTexImage followed by glXBindTexImage should be sufficient
though, no need to create a new pixmap.

> surely when the window size is change I should create a new pixmap-->texture.

In this case the drawable's backing pixmap will likely change.  Whenever the
backing pixmap changes, yes, you will need to create a new GLX pixmap to
bind to your texture.

Thanks,
-James Jones

nvidia-public