problems with video-intel driver

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Aug 11 01:20:08 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 09:08 +0200, davidek at ipnp.troja.mff.cuni.cz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I finally tested my i855GM with the git master version (I did it on
> 8.8.2007). I only compiled the intel video driver, using the standard xorg (version7.2) and
> libdrm (version 2.3.0) shipped with Debian Lenny. The newdriver is considerably
> larger than the previous version, but the problem
> (see below) still persist - after closing the lid the laptop freezes
> completely.

Can you try this with an external monitor connected? I suspect this is
similar to the problems seen on i830 laptops where the BIOS reprograms
the video hardware assuming that the LVDS is connected to Pipe A. If
Pipe A is inactive, the machine can lock up. Connecting an external VGA
monitor will activate Pipe A and (I hope) keep the machine from freezing
when closing the lid. If this works, we can probably come up with a
work-around for your machine somehow.

> On the top of it, I noticed another problem (probably present already with
> intel-2.1 driver). When suspending to RAM and recovering back, the Xwin system
> does not restore properly although the VBEtool is installed. The feature is
> that the Xorg system is "working", but most of X-applications inherrit black
> background from the screen, thus only the frames are visible. With the previous
> i810 driver, this was working well without any trouble.

Does the system suspend and resume correctly when X is not running? If
not, it's likely vbetool is not being run on resume. If so, it's likely
vbetool is run at the wrong time.

Try switching to another VT before suspending; if this works, you can
then create a script that does something like:

TMP=15
VT=`fgconsole`
chvt $TMP
echo mem > /sys/power/statechvt $VT
vbetool post
chvt $VT
deallocvt $TMP

and use that to suspend the laptop; this will deactivate X before
suspending, and reset the video hardware before resuming X. This is
needed on my HP nc2510p and has been useful on other machines as well.

keith.packard at intel.com