sDVO HDMI and mostly black screen

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Aug 13 02:59:06 PDT 2007

All,

Still with my sDVO card with HDMI and my 1080p HDTV...

I still have the TV sporadically giving me the EDID. So I have those
ModeLine and PreferedMode lines in my xorg.conf.

I now have another issue.

Quite solidly, with a very few exceptions, I do not get any picture.

X starts, the X application starts, my TV gets out of the blue screen,
but I have no picture, just a black screen.

Once in a while I get a bleep of picture.

I fail to see errors in the logs.

I tried the 2 HDMI sockets on the TV.

The cable is supposed to be clean/good/expensive enough to support the
1080p frequencies and bandwidth (Belkin PureAV).

Moreover, I tried to set the resolution to something lower, like
720x576, a mode that is apparently native to the TV, but I get stuck
with X still going to 1920x1080, even when using PreferedMode:

               (II) intel(0): Output TMDS-1 using initial mode 1920x1080

I am open to any suggestion.

I can
      * change the TV (same model or other brand) - not the preferred
        solution though
      * change the sDVO card (bought in the US, I am now in the UK...)
      * change the HDMI-HDMI cable
      * test anything you want
      * provide any output you want

Here are the X files when I get a black screen:
      * http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/X/xorg-Black_screen.conf
      * http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/X/Xorg.0_Black_screen.log

Here are the X files when I get something solid:
      * http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/X/4-xorg.conf-with_modline-Working
      * http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/X/5-Xorg.0.log-with_modline-Working

Note that using the EDID info or the ModeLine make no difference.

This is on an Ubuntu Gutsy install, 64-bit Core 2 Duo, Intel DG965WH
motherboard, up-to-date BIOS from Intel.

Thanks for any help/pointer.

Nico