Video driver of SM502 for Xorg

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 06:20:56 PDT 2007

On 8/14/07, belcon <belcon.zhao at siliconmotion.com.cn> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> Sorry if I posted to the wrong mail-list. The driver named
> siliconmotion_drv.so which is delivered with the package
> xorg-x11-drv-siliconmotion is used to support chip SM712. The attached
> driver is used for SM502 which is much powerful than SM712. But this driver
> has some bugs with SM712 currently. I am still working on it. Since SMI got
> several kinds chipsets, I would re-design the whole driver architecture so
> that all chipsets would be supported in one driver.
>
> Please test the driver if you are interested. Don't hesitate to mail me all
> bugs that you found. I am sorry if my poor English annoyed you since I am
> not an English-native Speaker.

Hi Belcon,

    This code looks very much like the sm501 code smi submitted a few
years back.  As Clemens mentioned, I've taken that code and removed
the support for the old vga chips and started a git repo for it:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/xf86-video-smi501/
I even added dualhead support, however, I was never able to get it
quite working.  I was not able to get the panel to display anything
but the cursor when both controllers were active.  Perhaps you could
take a look at it and use it as the base of your sm501/2 driver.  I'm
am happy to help out however I can.

Alex