"Out of Range" at DVI

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Aug 17 11:05:15 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 14:48 +0200, Oliver Schad wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> We use the actual xorg-serveer v1.3 with the
> built-in intel driver. We use the chipset i965 from intel and DVI output.

The server doesn't have any built in intel driver.  You should figure
out what version you have, and update if it isn't 2.1.1.

> We have a problem with some TFT monitors whichs seems to output wrong auto
> config parameters. The result is a message on the screen "Out of range".
> So we have to override the auto detection of the
> monitor capabilities.
>
> We have a working modeline from a TFT monitor from the same manucfacturer,
> same model but a later production date (if we start x with this model and
> if we put the older monitor on the DVI output it works fine).
>
> There is the option "NoDDC" in the x-config which turns off the auto
> detection but if we use it together with the modeline from the working
> monitor we get only resolutions lower than 1280x1024 - but the modeline
> is for a resolution of 1600x1200.
>
> Can somebody tell me, how we can persuade the intel driver to use a given
> resolution with a given frequency? We use the following config:
>
> --------------- xorg.conf --------------------------------------
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor_TFT-L"
>         VendorName   "TFT"
>         ModelName    "LARGE"
>         Option       "DPMS"
>         ModeLine     "1600x1200x60.0"  162.00  1600 1664 1856 2160  1200
> 1201 1204 1250 +hsync +vsync
>         Option "PreferredMode" "1600x1200x60.0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "i965"
>         Driver      "intel"
>         VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
>         Option "NoDDC" "true"
>         BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection

I would guess that your monitor might not be getting attached to the
output you want.  Option "Monitor-TMDS" "Monitor_TFT-L" in the device
section would hook that up.  But it would be better to figure out why
autodetection isn't working -- update xserver (to get an EDID fix) and
xf86-video-intel and supply a log with Option "ModeDebug" "YES" to a
bugzilla report if the issue continues.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com