GMA965-X3100 woes

Jack Malmostoso malmostoso at email.it
Sun Aug 19 06:38:18 PDT 2007

Hello list,

I am the proud owner of a laptop with an Intel GMA965 chipset.
I use version 2.1.1-1 of the intel driver as provided by Debian Sid with
Xorg version 1.3.

I have a few gripes with my video card that might be due to poor
configuration so I'd like to have your help on the topic.

1) XV video does not work with XAA and composite, but this is known and a
bug has been filed. Using EXA makes it "work", but output is extremely jerky
and cpu-intensive. Any fixes for this?

2) External VGA support is giving me the most trouble: if I plugin a monitor
or a beamer, I can successfully query it with "xrandr -q", but if I start
the VGA output with "xrandr --output VGA --auto" (or even specifying a mode
among those listed) I get blank screen on both monitors (LCD and VGA). The
fun thing is that the mouse cursor is visible on both screens, but all the
rest is not. Can anybody confirm?

3) If I restart X with a VGA monitor connected, both monitors are set at the
VGA's maximum resolution: this leads to annoying consequences, because my
LCD is widescreen (1280x800) while all the monitors I have tried are not.
Until now I only tried with 1280x1024, and what I see is that my LCD goes on
1280x1024 too: on the VGA I see the full screen, while on my internal LCD I
miss the lower part of the screen. In order to have fullscreen output on the
VGA I have to drag the window on the "invisible" part of the LCD and then
maximize it (or full-screen, like F5 in OO.o Impress).
If I change the LCD's resolution back to 1280x800, I get blank screen on the
LCD and the VGA stays just the same.
Is there a way to force two different maximum resolutions? Is MergedFB an
option?

Thanks for your help, here is my xorg.conf:

jack at vasquez:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        # path to defoma fonts
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "i2c"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "ch"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "de"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
#       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
#       Driver          "mouse"
#       Option          "CorePointer"
#       Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
#       Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
#       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
#EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
        Option          "SHMConfig"             "on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "intel"
        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
        Option  "monitor-TV"    "TVOutput"
        Option  "monitor-VGA"   "VGA"
        Option  "CacheLines"    "32768"
        Option  "DRI"           "true"
        Option  "PageFlip"      "true"
        Option  "TripleBuffer"  "true"
#       Option  "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Color LCD"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       28-64
        VertRefresh     43-60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Color LCD"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           4
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           15
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
#       InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "TVOutput"
    Option "Ignore" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "VGA"
    Option "Clone"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite"     "Enable"
EndSection

 Sponsor:
 Logos Finanziaria SPA. Società di credito ad erogazione diretta. Fino a
30.000 euro in 24 ore! Clicca e scopri come

 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2909&d=20070819