Switching Between Laptop and External with Intel Driver

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sun Aug 19 13:04:44 PDT 2007

I'm using xf86-video-intel-2.1.1 on 915GM based laptop. I would like to
switch between a high resolution external VGA monitor and the internal
lower resolution LCD without logging out and restarting the X server.

I want each monitor to get its native resolution, with the Gnome desktop
  just expanding and contracting when I switch.

While I build the driver myself, I'm using the Ubuntu provided "X Window
System Version 7.2.0", which is randr 1.1. Is 1.2 which I need to get
the functionality I'm looking for?

Is there any workaround to avoid the login/logout switching with the
existing server?

While I don't mind building and hacking on the driver, at the end of the
day it means replacing just one file in the distribution. I'd hate to
build the server and replace a whole world of files, and lose all
benefits of the auto updates.

If I do have to replace the server, is anyone packaging a randr 1.2
server for Ubuntu?

Also, what is the relationship between the xorg-server versions 1.0 -1.3
(1.3.99 appears to be the latest), and the 7.2 numbering I see in the
packaged distributions?