Very low 3d performance with 945GM

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 14:26:32 PDT 2007

Hello,

I did an oprofile-run when running tuxracer 800x600 windows, and thats
the result:

602918   55.8794  no-vmlinux               no-vmlinux               (no symbols)
365751   33.8984  i915_dri.so              i915_dri.so              (no symbols)
36238     3.3586  tuxracer                  tuxracer
(no symbols)

So actually a lot of time is spent in kernel-code and in i915_dri.so.
Any ideas what could be the reason?
While running tuxracer, the system is loaded about 40%, according to
top the tuxracer-process uses 77% of a single CPU.

> have you tryed the intel driver instead of i810 ?
> so that the xorg.conf didn't need to be changed. THere is now a 2.1.1
> intel driver so I'd make sure you are using e.g. Mesa 7.0.1, Xorg
> xserver 1.3 and Intel 2.1.1 driver at least.
Currently my system runs:
xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.0.0-4.fc7
mesa-6.5.2
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-9.fc7
Linux-2.6.20.1

I updated to intel-2.1.1, but no success. However I wonder why it
should work better using 2.1.1 given that the package does not contain
the i915_dri.so file mentioned in the oprofile-log.

> I've got the same HW and although I don't play games I've noticed
> there are lots of variables involved in getting good 3D performance.
Could you please name some of them or point me to a document which
mentions the tuning-knobs of the intel driver please?

> What kind of acceleration have you configured (XAA or EXA) and what
> options are in your xorg.conf?
What influences do you think does the used 2d accaleration
architecture have on OpenGL performance? Which one would you recommend
and why?

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens