avivo - no external monitor

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Fri Aug 24 17:41:25 PDT 2007

I can't get any video signal on an external monitor using the avivo
driver.

The primary laptop screen works fine (tested for a few hours) but
nothing I try lights the second monitor, neither through the VGA nor
the DVI connector.

I've tried "xorg --output VGA --same-as/left-of LDP".
It doesn't complain, but nothing happens.

I've tried "avivotool output (X) enable" for all the outputs mentioned
in the source file (tmds1, tmds2, dac1, dac2, crtc1, lvda, cur1).  The
only one that had an effect was tmds2, which blanks the laptop screen
and causes the monitor to say "signal out of range".  And crtc1, which
blanks the laptop screen but does nothing to the monitor.

xrandr correctly shows the laptop screen and the external monitor with
a believable set of resolutions.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug in the avivo driver, or ...?

HARDWARE:
	Lenovo ThinkPad T60p, model 8741-A11
	ATI FireGL 5250

SOFTWARE:
	Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon pre-release, updated today
	X server 1:7-2-5ubuntu6
	xrandr 2:1.2.1-1
	avivo driver from git, updated today from
	    git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/avivo/xf86-video-avivo

FILES:
	at http://chezgeek.euglug.net/~kbob/avivo-8-24/
		/avivotool-regs.out	output of "avivotool regs"
		/lspci-v.out		output of "lspci -v"
		/lspci-vn.out		output of "lspci -vn"
		/Xorg.0.log
		/xorg.conf
		/xrandr--verbose.txt	output of "xrandr --verbose"

                                        kbob at jogger-egg.com