randr 1.2: Primary Output for Laptop + external Screen

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Mon Aug 27 12:31:44 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear your opinion on the desired behavior of the video
drivers in typical laptop situations with an internal display and an
external screen attached (extending the desktop).

Currently for example the intel driver uses the external screen as the
primary output. It is listed first with xrandr. I'm not sure if this is
intentional or just coincidence.

I think in these situations the internal display should always come
first. The reason is that the GDM login screen appears on this output,
as well as screensaver unlock dialogs. There may be more examples. With
them appearing on the laptop display you can be sure they can be seen.
An external screen can be attached but switched off, or switched to a
different input.

Regards,

Andreas