X display is good until user log in

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Thu Aug 30 11:09:35 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:40:57PM -0400, Larry D. Brown wrote:
> I am sure this is documented, but I can't find it.  I am working a
> virtual machine on VMWare running RHEL 4 WS.  All users, except one have
> good X displays.  The one user had all his /home files rsynced from a
> physical machine, but the display was just fine until he tried to
> configure the display.  He used a display mode that is not entirely
> incompatible, in that something displays.  I would say the hsync refresh
> is bad because the display is "ghosted" and repeated across the screen
> three or four times.  That makes resetting with the GUI next to
> impossible.  At the moment I am not able to use <CTRL><ALT><F1> to
> access a VT session on the virtual machine, so I can't reset the GUI
> that way, either.
>
> I am looking for the user configuration that I can set manually as root
> to fix this guy.  Where and what should I be looking for?  What do I
> change?  I would like to keep the desktop set up if at all possible.
> Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with RHEL 4 WS.  I assume it uses the GNOME desktop?
If so, you can use gconf-editor (or gconftool if you want a command-line tool)
to reset 'rate' and 'resolution' under /desktop/gnome/screen/.

Example with gconftool: look at the current settings

  $ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/screen
  /desktop/gnome/screen/default:
   /desktop/gnome/screen/default/0:
    rate = 60
    resolution = 1280x800

reset them

  $ gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /desktop/gnome/screen

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
<Corsac> yeah, i'm reading the answers, currently
<Corsac> but what I see is that there is no real procedure to rebuild initfs