Problems with i810 2.x.x and widescreen on an acer x221w

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Thu Aug 30 21:28:35 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 23:13 -0400, rdmurray at bitdance.com wrote:

> I'm running gentoo, which handles the module compilations for me,
> and I've not yet learned git.  Since you think you've fixed the bug,
> and your suggestion of using xrandr --output VGA --mode gets my screen
> working correctly again, I'm reluctant to invest the time necessary to
> figure out how to do a git checkout, build the module, and get it loaded.
> However, if it would help out the project for me to do that to confirm
> that your fix fixes my particular bug, I'll find the time to do it.

There are git ebuilds for xserver and various drivers around the place.
For example, the 'x11' overlay:

emerge layman
layman -a x11

You'll then have to build everything, including - but probably not
limited to ( gentoo package names follow ):

libpixman
mesa
libX11
libdrm
xorg-server
xf86-input-keyboard
xf86-input-mouse

Then *uninstall* xf86-video-i810.
Now build the intel drivers from the renamed ebuild:
xf86-video-intel

Finally, build x11-drm

Portage may ( continually ) try to re-install the old xf86-video-i810.
Don't let it. I haven't ( yet ) found out how to prevent it from doing
this.

Reboot, and cross your fingers. Don't look at me if you break your X
server :)

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer