Feature request: "visible part's resolution as `actual screen size' "

Zbigniew Baniewski zb at ispid.com.pl
Fri Aug 31 05:42:56 PDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 11:36:48AM +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:

> This should really be done by the window manager (maximising a window)
> and the behaviour you're talking about is just annoying, plain and
> simple.

I'm not sure: is it really wm (and not XWindow system), who is responding
to getScreenSize() call (or similar "getscreenresolution"-like functions)?

> People have a maximise button on their windows (usually).

Yes, and when I maximize my XTerm's window, it covers entire virtual screen
area - which isn't what I want.

> But, when people are using a virtual desktop, it's often because they
> want more space ;)

Yes: space for several application windows, not just one - it's called
"a desktop". Text mode could be quite enough otherwise (just one and only
application using the whole screen).

> they might not want to size their windows to the
> visible part (which sorta defeats the object), ... e.g. I have a
> colleague who needs to do this due to extreme near-sightedness.

...and because of this, I want a new *option*. The friend of yours could
have it as it is today, but I could change the behaviour of "maximize"
actions in the way I need. At present time, "maximize" buttons are useless
to me. What's the point in using such button, when I must resize the
application window manually then. It is better to resize such window without
touching any buttons - one can spare one action in such way.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski