Request to reconfigure the list with [xorg] in subject line

Harald Braumann harry at unheit.net
Wed Dec 5 02:51:31 PST 2007

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:35:02 -0800 (PST)
"Alan W. Irwin" <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:

> On 2007-12-03 21:35-0000 Alan Cox wrote:
>
> >> That works for automatic filtering, but is not nearly as
> >> convenient for filtering by humans as a simple descriptor in the
> >> subject line.  I assume that is why most lists have such a
> >> subject-line descriptor enabled.  So I renew my request that this
> >> list conform to that convention.
> >
> > Some of us humans also prefer not to have [thingsialreadyknow]
> > taking up chunks of subject line hiding the real subject.
> >
> > You can use procmail to achieve what you want without messing it up
> > for the rest of us
>
> Thanks for that good idea.  At first I thought you were referring to
> automatic filtering of this list into a separate e-mail folder (which
> I don't want), but now I realize you were suggesting a procmail rule
> just for subject-line tweaking.  That works for me.
Just make sure to remove that [xorg] part again, when replying to the
list. I'm one of those who don't want to have superfluous information
in the subject.

Actually I don't understand why people want to do things manually that
a computer can do automatically. Even more so when the needed
information is already present in an easily parsable way (List-Id:).
But what do I know.

Regards,
harry