xf86-video-intel - enforce a given resolution on the DVI port?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Feb 5 07:48:26 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 13:52 +0100, Dag Bakke wrote:

> This worked. Sort of. I can get 1280x720. I guess the TV may be lying as
> well. The TV can do 1366x768 at 60Hz, no question about it. I have done it
> with ATI, and the documentation agrees.

You'll need to construct a modeline on your own then, and then link it
to the DVI output with another monitor section linked to the DVI-1
output (mode line below computed with the 'cvt' program):

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"TV"
	ModeLine	"1366x768" 85.25  1368 1440 1576 1784  768 771 781 798 -hsync
+vsync
	Option		"PreferredMode" "1366x768"
EndSection

Section "Driver"
	option "monitor-TMDS-1" "TV"
EndSection

> "Don't bother what you can detect or not. This the output port, this is
> the resolution, this is the refresh."
> Which one could be led to believe the modesetting branch was all about.

Yup, you can specify a complete mode line for monitors which have
incorrect EDID data.

> I totally agree with the goal of being able to autodetect as much as
> possible and in the end elliminate the config file. But there will
> always be lazy/sloppy manufacturers, so being able to override stuff
> manually seems an inevitable requisite.

Sadly, true.

keith.packard at intel.com