xset not working on session start

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Tue Feb 6 00:04:23 PST 2007

the method of using .xsmstartup didn't work 3 times, out of 3 tests.

this method did work 3 times, out of 3 tests.

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Glynn Clements wrote:

> IOW, something else is changing the settings. In which case, you have
> three options:
>
> 1. Figure out what is changing the settings, and disable it.
>
> 2. Figure out what is changing the settings, and configure it to use
> your preferred settings (thus eliminating the need to use xset).
========================

i like your logic, but i'm not sure how to go about finding what is
changing the settings. any suggestions?

> 3. Add a delay before the xset commands so that they get executed
> *after* whatever else is changing the settings. For this, you'll need
> to use a background subshell, e.g.:
>
> (
> 	sleep 10
> 	xset b 100 440 101 && echo 'bell set'
> 	xset m 4/1 8  && echo 'mouse set'
> 	xset dpms 0 0 0 && echo 'dpms set'
> ) &
>
> If you don't do this in the background, you'll probably end up
> delaying the "other thing" as well, which would defeat the purpose.
===========================

that makes perfect sense, and seems to work perfectly.

i'm still curious why the settings are getting hosed unless first adding a
delay. the only things i can think of if my fancy-schmancy window manager
(e16) or xscreensaver... but with this script:

#!/bin/sh
Xnest :3 -ac &
xterm -display :3 -e 'xset b 98 432 123 m 4/1 8 ; /usr/local/bin/xscreensaver' &
xterm -display :3 -e 'e16' &
xterm -display :3 -geometry -180+119

i couldn't duplicate the problem. i ran the script several times, and
every time i typed 'xset q' into the xterm i got the numbers i set just
before starting xscreensaver & e16.

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"The universe is not hostile, nor yet is it friendly.
 	 It is simply indifferent."
 		-- John Hughes Holmes