Intel graphics driver -- thanks!

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:46:45 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 01:04 +0100, Ed Schofield wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to extend a "thank you" to the developers of the Intel
> driver, particularly the modesetting branch.
>
> I recently bought a new G965 motherboard for its open-source drivers.
> I was initially disappointed at the lack of support for my screen's
> native 1680 x 1050 resolution, but this now works using a recent git
> version of the modesetting branch. Thanks for the great work!

All of you lurkers out there --

It would be nice to see more e-mails like this one to let Intel know
they are actually making sales based on the free drivers that they are
developing. It provides encouragement to those doing the work and may
help influence future decisions regarding the freeness of code for other
Intel products.

I buy products with Intel components whenever I can precisely because of
this. I have had wireless access on my Linux-based Thinkpad that I don't
even have to think twice about for about one year now. How often does
_that_ happen in Linux?

> -- Ed
Andrew Barr

"My life is an open book, but I'm not going to read it to you."
        -- David Hyde Pierce