X segfaults randomly

Shlomi Israel sijproject at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 03:23:19 PST 2007

Hello,

First, I would like to apologise if this is not the correct place to ask
this.

I have a Debian Etch system (just a bit mixed with Sid), running Xorg
7.1(from official debian repos). X crashes about every few hours (and
sometimes
even less), with a segmentation fault (log is attached).

I believe this had happened with the recent system upgrade I made, but it
seems that rolling back to the status that was before of it, does not help.
I tried many things, as in using a different user, a different Desktop
environment (instead of Gnome), with beryl and without it. All terminated in
the same crash.

I'm using a GeForce 6800 GS and a Pentium 4 processor. I'm using the nvidia
driver from the nvidia site. (nv gives me some other problems).

The funny thing is, that a few months ago, when I installed Xorg
7.1incorrectly (I didn't upgrade all needed packages), I got the same
issue,
with the same error. So my guess is there is something incompatible with my
installation. The problem is, I don't know exactly, which package should I
be looking for.

Another thing worth mentioning, is that X does not crash when the computer
is not used, only when someone is working with it.

As mentioned before, the log is attached. It says something about XLFD, so I
guess it has something to do with fonts. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Shlomi