Intel GMA graphics - any good for hi-def? 1920 x 1080 @ 50/60hz

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Feb 20 22:31:33 PST 2007

Hi there,

I'm about to start putting together a MythTV system which I'd like to
be capable of playing back hi-def (1080i/p) video, and I'd prefer to
use an Intel graphics card (but I'll settle for Intel on-board
graphics hardware;) because of the open nature of their drivers.

Unfortunately, nVidia graphics cards are very popular on the MythTV
mailing list, and I haven't encountered any users there who are
happily using Intel graphics. I think I've read posts by people who
had trouble using older Intel graphics chipsets, but not many who've
tried and not the latest generation of Intel graphics chips, so I'm
not really able to get the best feedback from that list.

I don't mind splashing out for a decent Core2Duo processor but as I
read it, with all the other possible demands upon a system, even
these can struggle with HD playback if hardware acceleration is not
enabled. The common MythTV solution is to use a nVidia card & their
binary drivers with XvMC enabled.

I believe that the X3000 can do hardware graphics acceleration, but
I'm not clear what the driver support is like for that?
Can anyone give me some feel-good vibes about buying this hardware?

I'm presently struggling to find a board that features the X3000 & an
onboard DVI port (not to mention the 6 x SATA, 3 x PCI, 3 x PCIe that
I'd prefer).

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers,

Stroller.