Intel i915GM (xf86-video-intel modesetting) Tearing during playback with XV

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at fi.muni.cz
Wed Feb 21 11:47:48 PST 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:27:59AM -0800, Tristan Willy wrote:
>  Ah, so XVideo and video overlay are, at least approximately, the
> same. I've setup my media players to use xv but I still get tearing.
>
> >get port base number, e.g., using xvinfo. In my case, video overlay has
> >port
> >base number 89. Then run mplayer -vo xv:port=89 movie.avi (however, the
> >video
> >overlay seems to be broken but my complains seem to be ignored).
>
>  I tried this last night and I still get tearing. I didn't go through
> all 16 ports exposed by the intel driver, but I did try several to no
> avail. This is with a G965 chip with a sDVO DVI card. Tearing is
> clearly visible at 1680x1050.

according to sources, G965 does not provide video overlay. It provides
textured video only. (at least it does not setup adaptor for video overlay for
G965). Anyway, using xvinfo, can you see attributes like saturation or gamma
for any adaptor? If not, you are only using textured video thus you cannot
expect tearless video.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek