Intel i915GM (xf86-video-intel modesetting) Tearing during playback with XV

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Feb 21 14:47:35 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 20:47 +0100, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:

> according to sources, G965 does not provide video overlay. It provides
> textured video only. (at least it does not setup adaptor for video overlay for
> G965). Anyway, using xvinfo, can you see attributes like saturation or gamma
> for any adaptor? If not, you are only using textured video thus you cannot
> expect tearless video.

Right, the G965 eliminated the overlay so the driver provides only
textured video. It would be fairly easy to stick a spin loop into the
server blocking for vretrace before painting a frame of video; I don't
like to do that in general because of performance issues, but it might
be worth a try to see if that eliminates the tearing issue.

keith.packard at intel.com