new multiseat solution: XAT + MPX

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Fri Feb 23 13:13:57 PST 2007

MPX brought to us a new idea of multiseat system.

Xat is an application that serves as an intermediary between the X
clients and a multiheaded X server. Xat deceives its clients which have
the impression that the server has only one head. The objective is that
each head behaves like several distinct X servers. We can imagine a
scenario where we have a xserver on display :1 with four screens (:1.0,
:1.1, :1.2 and :1.3). After Xat being connected we have four displays
(:2, :3, :4 and :5) and just one screen per display.

Today, we are releasing Xat to the public. The program still is a proof
of concept and needs feedback from the community so that it can succeed.
Perhaps in the future this application can be incorporated in the next
releases.

The 0.1.0 release is available at:
http://www.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/xat/xat-0.1.0.tar.gz

There are some nice screenshots here: