Working on the xf86-input-joystick driver

Sascha Hlusiak saschahlusiak at arcor.de
Sat Feb 24 14:23:31 PST 2007

>> I would like to make the joystick driver work, to improve it, to add
>> more features, to make it more configurable, add a man page then and I
>> would maintain it for a while.
> [...]
>> Does it make sense?
>
> If You think about ancient joysticks connected to gameport it doesn't
> make any sense (this port is obsoleted for few years). But if You were
> thinking about USB connected joysticks or drive wheels, well it could be
> useful for some people.
The same interface is used for both types of Joysticks; the Linux kernel
creates a /dev/js0 or /dev/input/js0 device and I would need to
differentiate between them. I mostly had USB Joysticks or Joypads in mind.

But I'd like to know if there is any similar work going on on that right
now, or if it is worth to put some manpower on the xf86-input-joystick
driver.

- Sascha