Working on the xf86-input-joystick driver

Christoph Brill egore at gmx.de
Sun Feb 25 04:10:33 PST 2007

Am Samstag, den 24.02.2007, 17:23 -0500 schrieb Sascha Hlusiak:
> >> I would like to make the joystick driver work, to improve it, to add
> >> more features, to make it more configurable, add a man page then and I
> >> would maintain it for a while.
> > [...]
> >> Does it make sense?
> >
> > If You think about ancient joysticks connected to gameport it doesn't
> > make any sense (this port is obsoleted for few years). But if You were
> > thinking about USB connected joysticks or drive wheels, well it could be
> > useful for some people.
> The same interface is used for both types of Joysticks; the Linux kernel
> creates a /dev/js0 or /dev/input/js0 device and I would need to
> differentiate between them. I mostly had USB Joysticks or Joypads in mind.
>
> But I'd like to know if there is any similar work going on on that right
> now, or if it is worth to put some manpower on the xf86-input-joystick
> driver.

>From what I can tell noone currently works on the joystick input driver.
I personally want to use it (and I got some Emails from people asking me
if I got it working, so I'm not all alone) and definitely would be
interested in a working joystick driver. I was unable to get my joystick
working as an evdev device, so it makes sense to have a driver that
makes use of /dev/js0 as input. For me the driver only crashed.

I'd say: Go ahead and get that beast working again :-)