RandR 1.1 in a RandR 1.2 world

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jan 2 00:48:00 PST 2007

So, I would like to figure out what a RandR 1.2 driver should do when
presented with RandR 1.1 requests to change the screen size.

Right now, I'm just applying the requested changes to a single monitor,
leaving all other monitors unchanged. This isn't quite right as the
screen size also changes, so I should be reducing the size of the other
monitors to avoid displaying random gunk beyond the new screen size.

I'm also never bothering to take advantage of the connection status for
other monitors -- you never get to enable/disable your external VGA port
unless you have RandR 1.2 all the way up to the application level.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is reconfiguring the 'other' monitors
whenever you query the randr state and the connection status of those
monitors changes. That seems useful, and fairly harmless as it will
leave things alone unless you plug/unplug something.

What I am not going to do is automatically extend the desktop to the new
monitor; if you want dynamic desktop configuration, get RandR 1.2.

Any questions or concerns? This all seems fairly straightfoward to me.

keith.packard at intel.com