Single Board Computer for HD XVideo?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jan 2 08:22:03 PST 2007

Le vendredi 22 décembre 2006 à 15:41 -0500, James Cloos a écrit :

> Ken> I'm thinking of starting with a blank slate and building or
> Ken> buying a low cost mini footprint system optimized for ...
> Ken> high def mpegs over xv ....
>
> Ken> I would prefer a single board with built in graphics.
>
> Via's MiniITX boards are often used for home theatre setups.

Once upon a time Via was the way to go to built silent HTPC boxes (not
much point to have beautiful image if you're listening to fans during
the film)

Nowadays mainstream CPUs run much cooler, in fact if you put a big early
AMD K7/P4 heatsync on one of the last socket 939 amd64 CPUs you can
almost run it fanless (or with a slow silent 120mm fan)

Also many people try to build overly compact systems, and go Via for
this reason. However:
— it's more expensive
— components will cook and have a shorter lifetime
– you often need small loud fans to force airflow in these micro cases

A normal ATX enclosure will be much easier to get silent.

Somewhere between gamer and budget segments chips get shrunk to save
money, which also results in passive cooling ideal for HTPC.

--
Nicolas Mailhot